Thursday, April 16, 2009

Oranges Are For The Birds

As soon as it starts warming up in the Spring, Gloria and I cut a couple of oranges in half and place them on a some branches near our backyard deck. We do this to attract Orioles as they migrate through the Kansas City area. To our surprise, it attracted some Mockingbirds. They come by every day. I have been wanting to get some pictures of Mockingbirds, but it hasn't been easy. They fly away as soon as they seen any human movement. I got lucky this time, however. I set up my 300mm lens and camera on a tripod with it pointing out a slightly opened door. I waited for about 20 minutes and got about 50 images of which a few are posted here. A few images of a Baltimore Oriole are also included, these from the Spring of 2008. Here is the web address for the images:
http://tomjmartinez.com/Mockingbird_and_Baltimore_Oriole/

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tom, just stopping by. I saw your link at Dan Bush's Missouri Skies page. Our website is at www.earthsky.org, and you'll also find 'earthskyscience' as a group on Flickr.

    Wonderful image!

    Happy solstice,
    Deborah Byrd

    ReplyDelete